Thursday, July 25, 2013

The Great 19th century Stain Remover Review: MILK


Happy Thursday fellow Hags! I have already mentioned that I am the Living History Coordinator for a small park district in Ohio. That park district is the Hancock Park District. This past Sunday we did a free public program on laundry and the focus mainly on how stains were removed before Billy Mays exploded on to our television sets with Oxi Clean. I thought it would be nice to share some of those results with those of you who could not make it out to the program.
Messy Mr. McKinnis!
The first stain I chose to tackle was a very common one in  Northwest, Ohio during the the 1800’s, black walnut ink. As you can see from the picture to your right,  Mr. McKinnis was very upset by a resent article in Blanchard Star and felt it necessary to write a strongly worded letter to the editor. In the middle of writing he became very upset. He went as far to even slam his fist down on the desk and sent ink. Not wanting to stain everything he grabbed the first thing he could find. One of his wife's table linens. Oh! What where you thinking Mr. McKinnis?!

Soaking in Milk
After a Good Soaking
To tackle this mess I soaked the soiled napkin and after three hours it seemed to have lifted it a little bit. I was unable to do a full 19th century washing session due to our wash house not being fully completed so I admit that I took the cloth home and  boiled it with a little bluing on the stove in a pot.

After a washing
You can see the results were not all that bad.  You can still see a few dark spots but nothing near as bad as it was. I have also read that tallow can be used to take out ink stain. That is on my list to try next time for  getting rid of ink.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment